Notices to Concurrent Use of Chinese Herbal Medicine and Anticoagulant
By 藥劑部 Pharmacy | September, 2019
The chinese herbal medicine to promote blood circulation and removing blood stasis （huoxue huayu 活血化瘀） can slow down the clotting process and dissolve the blood clot. As a result, the following should be noted when chinese herbal medicine and any anticoagulant are taken together.
- Abnormal bleeding signs. These include bleeding gums, blood in your urine or stools, signs of bruising or prolonged menstruation.
- The interval between taking chinese herbal medicine and anticoagulant is recommended over 1 hour.
Examples of huoxue huayu chinese medicine
Chinese Angelica (Dong quai), Turmeric Rhizome (Jiang Huang), Hairyvein Agrimonia Herb (Xian He Cao), Szechwan Lovage Rhizome (Chuan Xiong), Bu Yang Huan Wu Tang, Hsieh Fu Chu Yu Tang, Radix Salviae Miltiorrhizae (Dan Shen) and Ginkgo Leaf.
- Be aware of increased bleeding tendency and bleeding signs with simultaneous administration of anticoagulants and any huoxue huayu chinese medicines mentioned above.
- Chinese Angelica (Dong quai) stimulates uterine contractions. Therefore, pregnant women should inform the doctor to adjust their medicine.
- The characteristic of Turmeric Rhizome (Jiang Huang) is warm (dry heat). People who have too much heat in his body, or who is always thirsty, prone to constipation or dark urine are not recommended to take larger doses. Furthermore, Jiang Huang might stimulate and excite the muscles of the uterus, pregnant women with history of miscarriage should not consume large amounts of it.
- Avoid concurrent administration of Dan Shen and milk or soybean products due to decreased efficacy by the interaction.
- When Ginkgo Leaf is taken with Bokey (aspirin), be cautious with any signs of eye bleeding.
- Radix Salviae Miltiorrhizae (Dan Shen) and Szechwan Lovage Rhizome (Chuan Xiong) should be used carefully in pregnant women.
- Due to variety of constitution of different people, we recommend that one should consult his or her doctor of Chinese Medicine before consuming the herbal medicine.
- For your own safety, please contact your physician or health providers anytime you have a question.