Nitroglycerin (NTG) sublingual tablet Patient information
By 藥劑部 Pharmacy | January, 2021
Drug information No.42
Prevent of relieve symptoms of angina attacks (such as chest pain, tightness in the chest and dyspnea)
Place a tablet under your tongue or in the cheek when you begin to feel an angina attack starting. If symptoms are not relieved in 5 minutes, please go to emergency room (or call an ambulance) immediately and take a second tablet. DO NOT drive yourself to the ER during an angina attack. On the way to the emergency room, if the pain continues for another 5 minutes, a third tablet may be used. (DO NOT use more than 3 tablets within a 15-minute period.) Inform your doctor that you have already taken nitroglycerin.
- You may feel dizzy, become lightheaded or fainted after using the medication, therefore it is safer to sit rather than stand while taking NTG. If dizziness or lightheadedness occurs, take several deep breaths and bend forward with your head between your knees. This will relieve the uncomfortable symptoms.
- Tell your doctor if you have ever had any allergic reactions to nitroglycerin or any other medicines.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, have hypotension, congestive heart failure or renal diseases.
- Common side effects of nitroglycerin include dizziness and headache. As a result, DO NOT drive or operate machinery until you figure out how this medication affects you.
- DO NOT eat, drink or smoke within 5-10 minutes after taking the medication.
- Avoid pouring too many tablets at once or handling the medicine for too long. The moisture in the palms of your hands will make the medication melt. Tighten the cap on the bottle immediately after taking the medicine.
- Taking nitroglycerin with Viagra®, Levitra® or Cialis® is NOT recommended.
Please go to the emergency room if you have any of the following problems:
Allergic reactions: skin rash, urticaria, swelling or pain in mouth/throat and/or dyspnea (difficulty breathing).
Other situations: lip or nail becoming blue, loss of consciousness, blurred vision, dry mouth, chest pain and/or bradycardia.
Please contact your doctor or pharmacist if you have any of the following conditions:
Persistent flushing, nausea or vomiting
- Keep this medicine in its original glass container in a cool and dry place.
- Store nitroglycerin away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- To protect against loss of potency, please store the medication as directed above.
- Keep the medicine out of reach of children.
※ Please consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Chi Mei Medical Center：firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chi Mei Hospital, Liouying：email@example.com
- Chi Mei Hospital, Chiali：firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drug Information