HMG CoA Reductase Inhibitors (Statins) Patient Information
By 藥劑部 Pharmacy | May, 2022
Drug information No.41
Decrease the amount of cholesterol to prevent the disease related to hypercholesterolemia.
Instructions for use：
- Unless specifically instructed by the doctor, you can take the medication once daily in the evening. If you are told to take the medicine twice a day, take it before or after breakfast and dinner.
- You can take this kind of medicine before or after meals.
- Please take your medicine regularly as the doctor prescribed. Remember to control diet and getting sufficient exercise to reach best efficacy in lowering your cholesterol. Do not stop taking the medicine without consulting your doctor.
- If you have been allergic to the same or similar medicine, do NOT take the medicine.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, do NOT take the medicine.
- If you have liver disease, please consult with your doctor before taking the medication. Once you start to take the drug, the doctor may arrange you for monitoring of liver function and creatinine kinase level regularly.
- You should not become pregnant while you are taking statins. The medication may harm the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking the medication, stop taking it and call your doctor immediately.
- If you are taking other medications, please inform your doctor or pharmacist. For example, lipid-lowering agents (fenofibrate, gemfibrozil), niacin, immunosuppressant (cyclosporine), digoxin, antibiotics (itraconazole), erythromycin, anticoagulants (warfarin), etc.
- If you are a heavy drinker, please inform your doctor as well.
Medication and foods that should be avoided：
- If you are taking or plan to take any other medications (including over-the-counter drugs, vitamins or herbal medicines), please consult with your doctor or pharmacist.
- If you have been prescribed cholestyramine（Choles Powder ®）as well, please take your statin at least 1 hour before or 4 hours after cholestyramine.
- Do not take a statin with grapefruit juice or alcohol.
- Please keep a low-cholesterol diet as possible as you can.
- High-cholesterol food：Egg yolk, animal internal organs (brain, heart, kidney, liver), oyster, butter, cheese, lobster, crab, etc.
- Low-cholesterol food：Fish, beef, pork, mutton, chicken breast, lard, milk, etc.
- Almost non-cholesterol food：Low-fat bread (without butter, lard, eggs, etc.), grains, fruits, protein, nuts (such as almonds, walnuts), jam or jelly.
If any of the following situations happens during your treatment, please come back to the hospital immediately.
- Muscle pain, weakness, cramp, rash or urticaria, stomache, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, unexplained fever, yellow skin or eyes, etc.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
- Usual shelf life is around three months unless labeled on the package.
- Store the medication at room temperature, avoiding heat or moisture.
- Keep the medication out of reach of children.
- To avoid danger, DO NOT share your medication with others.
※ Please consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Chi Mei Medical Center：firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chi Mei Hospital, Liouying：email@example.com
- Chi Mei Hospital, Chiali：firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drug Information