Digoxin and Cardiacin Elixir Patient Information
By 藥劑部 Pharmacy | January, 2021
Drug information No.45
The medicine can increase cardiac contractility, maintain heart rhythm, and improve circulation. Digoxin is also used to treat heart failure, lower limb swelling, abnormal heart rhythms or other related diseases.
Take this medicine regularly as prescribed by your doctor. In most cases, the medicine is taken once daily. DO NOT change the dosage without your doctor’s advice even if you feel fine or have no more symptoms.
- Take the medicine before meal. However, if symptoms of an upset stomach occur, you can take it with food or milk.
- Use a dosing cup or dropper with scale to measure the amount of digoxin elixir.
- Tell your doctor before taking this medicine, if any of the following apply to you:
Pregnancy, lactation, kidney disease, hypercalcemia, vomiting, diarrhea, or peritoneal dialysis.
- Inform your health care providers if you are taking or planning to use any drug. (Including prescription drugs, OTC drugs, natural products, herbal medicine, or vitamins.)
- Make sure that all of your doctors (including dentists) know you are taking digoxin.
- Regularly return to the clinic for follow-up. Your doctor may sometimes ask you to have blood tests in order to check if the levels of digoxin and salts (electrolytes) are within normal range.
- You may feel dizzy after taking the drug. Avoid driving or operating machinery while taking the drug.
- Be cautious that some medicines may interact with digoxin.
- Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms:
Change in eyesight or blurred vision, very bad dizziness, weakness, numb hands and feet, severe nausea, vomiting, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, skin rash, fast or slow heartbeat.
|Electrolytes being affected||Drug||Food|
|K+||Potassium-sparing diuretics,beta blockers||Banana, carambole,water spinach|
|Ca2+||Vitamin D, Calcium channel blockers||Milk, dairy products|
|Na+||Diuretics, steroids, laxatives||Salt, condiment, carrot, celery|
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you remember it.
- If it has been 12 hours or more since the missed dose, skip the missed dose and continue your next scheduled dose.
- If you miss your dose for 2 or more days, call your doctor.
- DO NOT take 2 or more doses at the same time.
- Store the medication at room temperature. Protect from heat, moisture and direct light.
- The general shelf life is 3 months after the production date, unless otherwise stated.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- To avoid danger, DO NOT share the medication with other people.
※ Please consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Chi Mei Medical Center：firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chi Mei Hospital, Liouying：email@example.com
- Chi Mei Hospital, Chiali：firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drug Information